Built in 1916, The Historic Island Dairy was the heart of the Island’s dairy industry for over 50 years. At its peak in the 1950’s , the Washington Island Dairy produced milk, butter, cream and several varieties of cheese. The Dairy closed in 1969 and the building stood dormant for 40 years. From 2009 through 2012, The Historic Island Dairy was thoughtfully and extensively renovated into a central gathering space for the Island. The entry lobby features a history exhibit, a timeline of key events in the Island’s past and a 45- minute narrated video of historic Island photographs.
The first floor gallery presents international vintage posters and art work, some highlighting Scandinavian interest. The Island’s first elevator opens onto the second floor which features a comfortable open space suitable for large gatherings such as wedding receptions, business conferences, banquets and classes. The second floor outdoor deck is an ideal spot for enjoying spectacular panoramic views of acres of lavender surrounding a Scandinavian Garden Pavilion.
Commercially-licensed kitchen facilities are available for rental on an hourly or daily basis serving as a community business incubator. The Dairy is surrounded by fields which have been planted with nearly 5,000 lavender plants, transforming this location into one of the largest lavender farms in Wisconsin.
Visit the Island Lavender Market for fresh, aromatic and tasty lavender products and treats; featuring artisan chocolates and gelato as well as home and beauty products. The Historic Island Dairy is open from 10am to 5pm daily, from Memorial Day to Columbus Day.
1309 Range Line Road
(NW corner of Range Line Road and Town Line Road)
Washington Island Wisconsin 54246
www.historicislanddairy.com | www.islandlavender.com